Roasted Strawberry Mousse Shots

Yes, you read that correctly…roasted strawberries is the secret to the flavor of these mousse shots! Using just fresh strawberries is not as intense of a flavor and the puree is too wet. Roasting them creates a syrup and the mousse becomes thicker. Mousse by definition is made one of two ways…with eggs or with whipped cream. Well, since this is a vegan blog, I obviously went with the cream version and used coconut cream. My husband prefers the softer, creamier texture of this type, than the firm texture of an egg chocolate mousse. He just LOVED this!

Pin it

Strawberry Mousse

Of course, you don’t have to serve them as mousse shots. This was my original intention when I hosted this shower, but that plan failed the morning of. This can easily be served in two bowls as dessert, or even made into ice cream. They are light, creamy and delicious. If you are new to the whole coconut whipped cream world…set your taste buds on fire and check out my double chocolate whipped cream recipe!

Recipe:  Makes 2 1/2 cups  Bake time: 40 mins  Chill time: 24 hours maximum  Prep time: 30 mins total for all steps

Print recipe

Gluten-free, Soy-free

Ingredients:

1 lb fresh strawberries, rinsed and stems removed

2 tablespoons maple syrup (adjust to your desired sweetness, or use any dry sweetener you prefer)

2 13.5 oz cans full fat coconut milk (I only use A Taste of Thai brand because the cream is much thicker)

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Note: I do not recommend any other brand coconut milk, as I’ve found A Taste of Thai to be the best. Their coconut cream is the thickest, which will yield the best results. It can be found in the Asian isle at most grocery stores.

Directions:

I recommend preparing this mousse 1-2 days before needed. Place the can of coconut milk into the fridge to chill overnight. This is not a firm type of mousse you’d get with an egg based chocolate mousse. I didn’t want to add any false thickening agents…..that would affect the delicate texture and pure taste. Keep stored in the fridge until right before serving.

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and spread the prepared strawberries out evenly. Bake for 35-40 minutes until they are bubbling and the juice has a syrup consistency. Next, add the cooked strawberries with all their juice, to a food processor. Be careful, they will be very hot! Pulse for 3-4 minutes until they become frothy, airy and a lighter pink color. Add the syrup and pulse again for a minute. Pour into a container and place in the fridge to chill for several hours or overnight is best. It should thicken after completely chilling.

After the strawberry puree has chilled for several hours or overnight, remove the chilled coconut milk from the fridge. Scoop out the top cream parts and stop once you get to the water. You should be able to get about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups total of the thickened cream. Whip the cream for 5-8 minutes until soft peaks form.

Now, add the vanilla and whip again for another minute. Carefully, fold the whipped cream into the chilled strawberry puree. It should look thick and creamy like this…..

You may want to just eat it right now and that would be perfectly fine. :) Next, place the mousse in the fridge set firm up for a few hours or you can pour it in your ice cream maker. I’ve made it both ways. It isn’t the light mousse texture when made as ice cream, but it’s still delicious. Keep it in the fridge until just before serving.

Now, shave some dark chocolate and garnish the mousse.

Pin it

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Entertaining Dishes, Fun With Fruit, Gluten Free, Party Platters, Sweet Treats, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

50 Comments on “Roasted Strawberry Mousse Shots”

1. March 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM #

I would have never thought of roasting strawberries to bring out their flavor! I love the Taste of Thai Coconut milk too! Though whole foods store brand is really awesome too! :)

• March 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM #

Yes, it really works…I was licking the syrup out of the oven :)

• March 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM #

I can imagine! :) I think I’m making french toast for lunch today…..

• March 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM #

Oh goodness, I wanted to make more for breakfast but only has two pieces of bread left :(

2. March 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM #

OH MY!! Those are gorgeous and totally delicious. I can’t wait until strawberry season so that I can make these. Strawberries right now just aren’t that good, I bet it would be great with raspberries also!

• March 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM #

Thank you Suzanne! Yeah, they are pretty crummy, so the roasting makes up for that…really brings out the flavor out of not-so-great strawberries. The flavor was super yummy! Raspberries sound awesome too!

• March 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM #

Thats right the roasting would help those sad strawberries out. I am so going to make this.

3. March 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM #

oh yum! These look delicious!

4. March 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM #

I bet your husband did love this!! It looks delicious! I love the idea of roasted strawberries too! YUM!

5. March 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM #

Gorgeous – I bet the roasting make them really intense in flavor! Delicious and beautiful Brandi!

• March 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM #

Thanks Anne! Yes, it changes the flavor some, but definitely changes the texture/consistency. It was so cool watching it become thick and frothy in the food processor!

6. March 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM #

As I said on FB…wow. I am loving it!

7. March 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM #

These look amazing Brandi. I can only imagine how beautiful and intense they taste. The whipped coconut cream looks divine too.

• March 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM #

Thanks so much Saskia! I found the flavor to be so pure that it didn’t need hardly any sweetener, but one could certainly adjust if they wanted :)

8. March 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM #

These are fantastic, Brandi! Roasting the strawberries is such a great idea. I wonder where else they can be used. Hmm …

• March 11, 2013 at 10:45 PM #

Pudding, ice cream, smoothies, cake…I’ll try cupcakes with it next time! Ha! Thanks John!

9. March 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM #

This sounds incredibly good – and strawberry season is just a few weeks away here!

• March 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM #

Thanks so much! I hope you let me know if you try it :)

• March 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM #

I’m seriously going to do it – and I will let you know!

10. March 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM #

I am roasting the strawberries very soon! This is an outstanding recipe Brandi!! Looks incredible and I love the idea of strawberry mousse shots :)

• March 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM #

Thank you Judy so much! It really brings out the flavor although I wouldn’t eat them by themselves like that…they are soggy…I did it just to bring out the juices and flavor. I imagine it would work phenomenal in cake too!

11. March 12, 2013 at 5:38 AM #

Brandi, my eyes are rolling into the back of my head from all this gorgeous deliciousness! Roasting the strawberries first is a total stroke of genius. And I love that you used coconut milk here (full fat – oh yeah!). Love, love, love!

• March 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM #

You’re too kind Nancy, thank you!! Yes, full fat girl is the only way to go! The flavor is so delicate and delish. We couldn’t get enough!

12. March 12, 2013 at 6:08 AM #

Brandi, this is extra-ordinary. I don’t think any grand restaurants serve this. Specially yours and so generous of you to share this secret recipe! Would love to have one right now.

• March 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM #

Aww thanks Danny! It’s so easy too. It’s not real thick like an egg chocolate style mousse, and I didn’t want to add crazy ingredients like cornstarch or tofu to it….it would affect the texture and take away from the pure taste. It’s creamy, delicate and light and amazing as is.

• March 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM #

You see. so much thought has been put into it. Just like a great idea for tv promotion. The simpler it seems, the harder it is to generate the idea :-) Beautiful work my friend. It’s art.

Sincerely
        Danny

• March 13, 2013 at 7:35 PM #

That made my day…you gave me such generous compliments. Thank you so much! It is a very simple 4 ingredient recipe, but the flavor tastes like so much more. We enjoyed it so much :)

13. March 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM #

Wow. This is brilliant and beautiful. I never thought I’d see Mousse and Shots in the same sentence haha

14. March 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM #

ooooh delicious!

15. March 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM #

think I’m in HEAVEN! Roasted strawberries…I MUST TRY! And I had no idea coconut cream whips. You have opened up more for me! Thanks so much!

• March 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM #

Aww thanks Tonette! Oh YES, it is fabulous! The VERY important keys are chilling the can overnight in the fridge so the coconut cream at top of can becomes very thick, almost solid and using a quality brand. Not all brands have the thick version…if its runny, it doesn’t work as well. Here is my double chocolate version…it truly is to die for!!!
      /2012/09/25/healthy-double-chocolate-whipped-cream/

16. March 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM #

Brandi! Great blog and post. Roasting berries is one of my favorites. I am glad to have found this blog.

17. March 13, 2013 at 3:03 AM #

This is a stunning dessert, Brandi! Roasted strawberries are just wonderful, and I love that you use them for a more intense flavor in your mousse. And whipped coconut cream is my new favorite – I add vanilla and maple syrup and I like it more than dairy whipped cream now. I can’t wait to try this one!

• March 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM #

Thank you so much Hannah! I found that the flavor was so good by roasting the strawberries that it didn’t need much sweetener! I agree..I add syrup and vanilla too and it is so good. You should try chocolate whipped cream too. That’s my favorite!

18. March 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM #

Roasted strawberries? You’re brilliant!

19. March 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM #

Now, this is a smashing whipped coconut cream strawberry fab dessert, topped with shaved chocolate! What could I ask for more???? MMMM! Great for dinner parties too! Special: You could also add a bit of strawberry liqueur to the mix?

20. March 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM #

This sounds just wonderful!

21. March 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM #

Can we be best friends and you just make me wonderful creations like this all the time? I’m definitely going to have to try to make this for myself. It looks so good. I’m so glad I found your blog.

• March 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM #

Ha! Sure, why not! Thank you so much. It’s really easy..the waiting to chill is the only hard part :) Please let me know if you do try it!

22. March 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM #

love your photos as usual! roasting strawberries is such a clever idea to bring out the flavour, thanks for sharing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Easy Individual Strawberry Cheesecake | LauraLovingLife - March 14, 2013

[...] Roasted Strawberry Mousse Shots (thehealthyflavor.com) [...]

I'd love your feedback!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 319 other followers