Dark Cherry Lime Slushy

I promised to share several of my smoothie/breakfast concoctions…..so here’s another. Oh my. This one is sooo delicious. Sweet, tart, intense flavor and really thick! I had it for breakfast, but it would be great in the afternoon as well.

Cherry Lime

Dark cherries and fresh limes go so wonderfully together. This is almost like a dessert, but so much healthier.

Dark Cherries

Recipe:  Serves 1

1 1/2 cups frozen dark cherries

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

zest of one lime

2 tablespoons cashew or almond butter

2-3 Medjool dates with the pits removed (or your preferred sweetener)

1 tablespoon ground flaxseed

1/2 cup water

1 cup crushed ice

Note:  I highly recommend the dark cherries as they are very rich, juicy, plump and so sweet naturally, so you may like it without any sweetener. Try it first, then add any if you like. I can’t vouch for the taste of other cherries used in the recipe….if you try others, let me know how it turns out.

The frozen cherries blend easily, so by adding some crushed ice, it becomes so thick and slushy-like. You will LOVE this!

Directions:

Add everything to your blender and pulse until thick, creamy and slushy! You can let your cherries sit for a couple of minutes to thaw first, if your blender isn’t very powerful. Enjoy! I know you will!

Cherry Lime

IMG_1545

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Breakfast, Fun With Fruit, Gluten Free, Snacks, Sweet Treats, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

32 Comments on “Dark Cherry Lime Slushy”

1. January 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM #

I want!! It sounds perfect.

• January 31, 2013 at 12:38 AM #

It’s delicious! I can’t wait to try yours too that you just posted!!

2. January 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM #

I just love smoothies, this would be perfect before bed too, I heard that cherries are great to aid in a good nights sleep and help with digestion. (saw on Dr Oz) You are so right that cherries and lime go hand in hand and the medjool dates would be my sweetener of choice, I go through a container a week. They are one of my favorite sweet treats,

• January 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM #

Oooh I didn’t know that Suzanne! I’ll need to add them at night then. I love the tartness from lime and cherry together….I’m smelling an ice cream recipe coming. :)

• January 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM #

Oh yes an ice cream made from cherries and lime would be delicious!! Dr. Oz said that not only do cherries contain something that helps you sleep but they also are great to help lose weight,

3. January 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM #

I will definitely make this one !! (minus the dates cuz I love the tart!) :)

• January 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM #

Confession, I only used 1 date because I thought the cherries were sweet enough, but just added more to the recipe, for others, since my sweet palette I think is probably milder these days than others :) Enjoy girl!

4. January 31, 2013 at 2:36 AM #

Cherries are my favourite food in the world! I cannot wait to try this!

• January 31, 2013 at 6:00 AM #

Thank you Erin! Dark cherries are incredible in this. Please let me know if you do, I’d love to hear! :)

5. January 31, 2013 at 4:51 AM #

This looks amazing! I am literally heading to my freezer to see if I have any cherries on hand!

6. January 31, 2013 at 5:12 AM #

That is gorgeous city :D

Cheers
    CCU

7. January 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM #

Just look at that color!!! Mention cherries of any kind and in any preparation and I am soo there! This sounds delicious, Brandi, and a great start to your day.

• January 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM #

Thank you so much John!! I love the color too! It tastes just as fabulous also :)

• January 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM #

Oh and that color is all authentic too…the dark cherries make it so beautiful! No color editing necessary on this beautiful drink! :)

8. January 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM #

Brandi, this looks incredible!
    Will feature it in tomorrows news.
    All the best.
    Shane

• January 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM #

You are so sweet Shane, you made my day!! Thank you so much!!!

9. January 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM #

OOhh yum!! I am not the biggest fan of cherries, but this looks delicious!

• January 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM #

You know what’s funny Brittany is I don’t like eating cherries by themselves, but LOVE them in a smoothie!! :)

10. February 1, 2013 at 4:54 AM #

Aw..Brandi, this is another great recipe with your clever way of using frozen fruits. Look at that color. Simply gorgeous! I can imagine the taste in every mouthful. This is such a good breakfast to wake up our minds. Loovvveee it! :-)

• February 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM #

Thank you so much Danny! It really is an amazing color and it tastes even better! Extremely filling too!

11. February 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM #

This recipe looks delicious! I love cherries! The problem is that I can never find frozen cherries anywhere in Toronto. I have looked everywhere :( The closest I got to getting frozen cherries was in an organic mix. I picked them out for a recipe lol

• February 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM #

Thank you Eva! Just buy regular cherries and freeze them before making the recipe! You just need them frozen to get the slushy :)

• February 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM #

OMG! I have a funny story about cherries out of season. A few weeks ago my BF( knowing that I love cherries) went to this higher end store in Toronto and saw they had cherries. He put a good handful in a bag and went to the cash. The “handful” of cherries was almost $30!!! Insane! I am glad he put them back lol I will have to wait until it is in season here :(

12. February 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM #

Brandi, this is so delicious! I love it :)
    The colour is gorgeous!

13. February 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM #

MMM! You are right that this is way better!

14. February 5, 2013 at 4:46 AM #

Brandi YUM!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Cherry and Lemon Smoothie – Gazing In - February 3, 2013

[...] of The Healthy Flavor, inspired me again. With an ample bag of frozen dark cherries from Costco in the freezer and a lot [...]